Secondary English Teacher
Job Title: Secondary English Teacher
Salary: up to £37,000 per annum
Location: New Barn School, Newbury, Berkshire
Contract: Permanent; Term Time Only
Hours: 40 hours per week
New Barn School offers a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum to boys and girls, aged 6 – 19 years who have Social, Emotional and Mental Health complexities.
New Barn School takes full advantage of its beautiful settings and fosters a love for using the outdoor curriculum including forest school, farm experiences and horse riding. The School is within a commutable distance of Swindon, Oxford, Andover, Basingstoke and Reading and other surrounding towns and villages.
Our services offer a stable, secure and supportive environment, in which the children and young people we care for can develop the skills and confidence necessary to help them fulfil their potential.
Acorn Care and Education is the UK’s leading independent provider of specialist education, foster care and residential care for vulnerable children and young people. As part of Outcomes First Group we are leading our sector in setting and delivering new approaches that provide measurable outcomes for those in our care.
Job Summary and Duties
Working as a English Teacher for New Barn School, you will deliver fun educational based learning which is tailored to each of our pupils to ensure they will achieve positive results.
The role will be challenging but rewarding, working in a dynamic environment where you can make a real difference. You will be expected to lead the teaching of and co-ordinate flexible, person-centred programmes of study for individuals and groups of children. You will be able to demonstrate a practical, hands-on approach to teaching and be prepared to go above and beyond for the young people we support.
Following a thorough induction programme, your duties will include:
- Preparing, planning and assessing teaching sessions whilst maintaining an awareness of curriculum developments
- Writing and implement individual education plans, making assessments of educational attainment, setting challenging yet achievable targets
- Build relationships with all young people, which will encourage their interest and participation in their education
- Creating an environment which is stimulating and purposeful for all pupils to promote teaching and learning outside the formal classroom settings
Key Skills Required
- Hold Qualified Teacher Status is desirable; GSCE Grade C or above passes
- Have a background of teaching English at a Secondary Level, delivering teaching at a good or outstanding level
- Knowledge of current education issues in relation to terms of practise, process and curriculum
- Be experienced in or have an interest working within an SEN setting, supporting Children and young people with challenging behaviour (SEMH/EBD)
Why join Acorn Education & Care?
- up to £37,000 per annum
- 40 hours per week
- Term Time only
Your health and wellbeing are important to us, so you’ll get an exceptional reward package including:
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme with options to increase your contributions
- “Your Wellbeing Matters” – access to a wide range of first-class mental health support services and physical health checks
And a market-leading benefit offering through our Flexible Benefits Platform, Vista, enables you to choose the package that’s right for you, including:
- A wide range of health, wellbeing, and insurance benefits
- 100’s of discount options valid in the UK and abroad
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Electric Car Purchase Scheme
- Critical illness cover
And that’s not all, we place the outcomes of the children and vulnerable young adults in our services at the heart of everything we do, so you’ll wake every day in the knowledge that your role will have a significant positive impact on the lives of others.
We are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to a fully enhanced DBS.