Teacher of Design Technology (woodwork)
Location: Acorn Park School, Banham, Norwich.
Salary: Up to £30,000 dependant on experience
Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday
Contract: Permanent, Term Time only
About the Role:
The Head teacher is seeking to appoint an aspiring Design Technology Teacher to join this thriving specialist SEMH School. Reporting to the Deputy Head teacher, they will be responsible in running the Design Technology Room and to ensure that the department and the school is successful in achieving its aims. You will be an enthusiastic, flexible and determined individual who shares our values and is looking to develop their career in this specialist area.
About the School:
Acorn Park is a Special Educational Needs (SEN) School and Residential home. We help care for and support young people who have complex needs and specialise in the communication and learning challenges associated with Autism.
The Site is situated within Norfolk’s picturesque and tranquil countryside, close to the town of Banham. Due to the location, it would be beneficial for candidates to have a driving licence.
The aim of the site is to provide enough support to unlock each child’s potential so they can live fulfilling and productive lives. We provide the young people with as much freedom as possible in a safe and supervised environment. This is achievable due to the dedication and support from a range of employed professionals who are passionate, reliable and understanding
If you want a rewarding Career, to make a positive difference to young people and their lives and are patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive apply now and we'll be in touch soon!
We want each young person at Acorn Park to achieve their own ambitions and to live fulfilling and productive lives. We want you to encourage each individual to achieve their potential and dream big, despite of any challenges you or they may face. This can be achieved by assisting and supporting the class teachers with the agreed learning plans, whilst also being responsible for safeguarding the young people. This will include making sure they are healthy, safe and as comfortable as possible and assisting with the physical, emotional and personal care needs for each individual.
About the Group:
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Education and Care provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
As a teacher you will make the education and well-being of the pupils your first concern and are accountable for achieving the highest possible standards in work and in your conduct.
Who we are looking for?
Whilst ideally we are looking for a qualified Design Technology Teacher, we will consider applicants who are experienced Instructors who have the ambition and desire. Whilst experience within an SEMH/SEN specialist provision would be desirable, we will consider applications from those who are currently working in a mainstream or college setting.
Subject specialism is essential for this post as is the knowledge of all the workshop machinery.
Training and development will be provided for the successful candidate in line with the identified needs of the school, the skills of the individual and their prospective career progression.
- To be responsible for the Design Technology room
- Plan and teach well-structured lessons
- Manage classes effectively, using approaches which are appropriate to pupils’ needs in order to motivate them
- Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe working environment
- Know and understand how to assess the relevant subject and curriculum areas you teach, including statutory assessment requirements.
- Experience of teaching DT at KS3 or KS4 in a specialist or mainstream setting
- Will have a working knowledge of workshop machinery i.e band saw, pillar drill, table saw, planer etc
- A dedicated work ethic to ensure the needs of all pupils
- Is passionate about making learning effective and enjoyable
- Qualified in subject specialism
- DBS cleared and satisfactory references
- Ability to work on own initiative
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
- Free School Meals
If you are looking to join a dedicated team in a school that will welcome your ideas, we want to hear from you.
Please note if your application is successful all interviews will take place via video call at this time. Please ensure you are able to access MS Teams
Acorn Education and Care is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check