Job Title: Apprentice Cyber Security Technologist
Hours: 37.5 per week
Location: Bolton OFG Office
Contract: 16-month fixed term contract (Course is 16 months may need to revise if any delays due to covid)
Outcomes First Group are excited to offer our new Apprenticeship scheme created to launch the career of care experienced young people and care leavers.
About the Group
Outcomes First Group is the largest independent provider of high-quality foster care and special needs education and care. We are a vital part of local communities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland with a renowned reputation for quality and positive outcomes for the people we educate and care for.
Our divisional brands include Acorn Education and Care, National Fostering Group, and Options.
About the Role
Are you Care experienced and looking to secure an exciting opportunity? This is a fantastic opportunity to join our IT team who are central to the growth of Outcomes First Group. As a Cyber Security Technologist apprentice, you will gain technical knowledge in areas such as security design and architecture, security testing, investigations and response and an understanding of current cyber threats, hazards and risks and how to apply the necessary controls, measures and mitigation to protect an organisation’s systems and people.
During the duration of your training, you will learn to:
- discover (through a mix of research and practical exploration) vulnerabilities in a system
- analyse and evaluate security threats and hazards to a system or service or processes
- demonstrate the use of relevant external sources of threat intelligence or advice (e.g. CERT UK)
- research and investigate some common attack techniques and recommend how to defend against them
- demonstrate the use of relevant external sources of vulnerabilities (e.g. OWASP)
- undertake a security risk assessment for a simple system without direct supervision and propose basic remediation advice in the context of the employer
- source and analyse a security case (e.g. a Common Criteria Protection Profile for a security component) and describe what threats, vulnerability or risks are mitigated and
- identify any residual areas of concern
- develop a simple security case without supervision
identify and follow organisational policies and standards for information and cyber security
- operate according to service level agreements or employer defined performance targets
- investigate different views of the future (using more than one external source) and trends in a relevant technology area and describe what this might mean for your business
Whilst working towards a Level 4 qualification.
What do you need?
GCSE English and Mathematics Grade 4 or above.
Level 3 IT Qualification (or similar) preferred
- logical and creative thinking skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- ability to work independently and to take responsibility
- can use own initiative
- a thorough and organised approach
- ability to work with a range of internal and external people
- ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- maintain productive, professional, and secure working environment
What do we offer?
- Career development opportunities
- Full training
- Professional support network
- A dedicated mentor
- Holidays starting at 25 days per annum
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all employees to share this commitment and undertake appropriate checks.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer