Job Title: Residential Care Worker
Salary: up to £21,000 per annum, plus £35 per sleep-in
Location: The Grange Therapeutic School, Oakham, Leicestershire, LE15 8LY
Hours: 42.5 hours per week, on a rota basis - all school holidays off, Monday - Friday with one Sunday evening every 3 weeks
This will include at least one sleep in per week (additional allowance paid).
Purpose of the Post:
To be a member of the residential care team of the Grange Therapeutic School, working across the residential services with up to 15 young people, holding key working responsibilities as directed by the Team Leader.
Children’s residential care workers are expected to make a positive impact to the lives of children who have a range of care needs, as well as life experiences and personalities that makes every day varied and interesting. If you have a caring nature, a natural interest in people and want to make a difference then this could be the next role for you!
You will work as part as an established team, proving a safe nurturing environment for our residential students. We want the young people to retain as much responsibility over their lives as possible and develop over time. Therefore, you will spend your time assisting the young people with everyday activities, such as getting ready for school, homework, cooking, playing and going on outings. A main responsibility of the role is safeguarding the young people and ensuring the physical and emotional needs are met.
Who we are looking for
The Grange want a responsible, friendly and thoughtful individual who has a passion for caring and ultimately, making a difference to young lives. You will ideally understand some of the challenges that you could be faced with as it will be a challenging yet rewarding role.
We need someone who can be a role model, work well within a team, has great communication skills, is willing to go the extra mile and be prepared for the varying difficulties the role may present.
- To be involved in all aspects of the safe and effective running of the residential provision.
- Provide allocated Key worker support for up to 3 young people.
- To manage pupil behaviour – under the guidance of care management team.
- To provide activities for pupils outside of the school day.
- To intend care meetings and other school staff meetings as needed.
- Liaise with parents, teachers and other professionals with the best interests of the young people in mind
- Help to promote structure, boundaries and domestic routines; ensuring a pleasant, clean and safe environment for the pupil in your care
- To attend and contribute to personal supervision sessions.
- To meet the schools requirements for recording and reporting.
- You must be available to work the shifts required.
- Some Sunday evening shifts may be required
- A strong desire to work hard to change the lives of young people
- You must hold or be willing to complete level 3 diploma in Residential childcare.
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Training will be provided
- Internal Promotion opportunities available.
- Potential for overtime
- Funded NVQ
- All applications should be made online using the application form, applicants should demonstrate how they meet the attached person specification.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The following is expected of all staff:
- To uphold the School’s policies relating to safeguarding & child protection, behaviour, Health & Safety and all other relevant policies
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible, and come into contact with
- To ensure full compliance with all statutory regulations, in particular Keeping Children Safe in Education, (Sept 2021) communicating concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Lead, other relevant staff of the school or local Children’s Services as appropriate.
All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and a satisfactory DBS check.