Head of English
Location: Meadowcroft School, Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Salary: Up to £36000 dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time, Monday to Friday
Contract: Permanent, Term Time only
Meadowcroft is an independent specialist day school for boys and girls aged from 5 to 19, catering for children with a wide range of needs in 3 sites across Wakefield.
Our dedicated team work together to ensure successful outcomes for pupils who often arrive at the school with a troubled view of education and life.
We pride ourselves in steering children in the right direction, nurturing aspiration to progress them both academically and socially to encourage them to take pride in their achievements. Socially, we build conﬁdence in our students so they are able to have a greater understanding of the wider community in which they live.
About the Role:
As part of our continued growth, we now have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Teacher to join our close-knit team as Head of English.
The ideal candidate will successfully set a vision and targets for pupil success and be confident in using their knowledge and expertise to monitor progress, give regular feedback and encouraging our young people to take a responsible and conscientious attitude to their own work and study.
As Head of English you will secure high quality teaching, effective use of resources and improve standards of learning and achievement for all pupils in consultation with the Assistant Head teacher. To Improve the quality of pupils’ learning in English; to contribute to the development and / or implementation of English policy and procedure. To have the lead responsibility for English across the school and develop plans which identify clear targets and success criteria for its development and / or maintenance. In consultation with the Deputy Head teacher undertake other identified areas of responsibility as necessary to ensure effective delivery of the school’s curriculum. To share the school’s responsibility to support and promote the learning, personal development and well-being of all students.
About the Group:
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
We provide Education and Care across a number of schools and residential homes nationally. Our specialist SEN provision, coupled with our expertise within residential care means we offer thousands of vulnerable children across the UK a holistic, wraparound care, residential and education service, empowering them with everything they need to flourish. It is by no accident that 94% of our schools and homes are rated as 'Outstanding' or 'Good'.
We welcome staff who share our commitment to help children experience better days and better lives. Through ongoing development and training, we ensure our staff are well prepared for their jobs and given every opportunity to extend their skills.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Qualified Teacher who has led an English department, who wants to spend less time on paperwork and more time developing creative learning opportunities for the most reluctant and troubles learners.
No two days are the same at Meadowcroft so we want Teachers who can work at pace to turn ‘can’t do’ into ‘want to’ and are motivated by working with children with complex needs. You will be motivated by your belief that every child can achieve and reach their potential. The ideal candidate will enjoy working with children in a calm and engaging demeanour, whilst being resilient using an innovative style of teaching motivated by your belief that every child can achieve and reach their potential.
Whilst previous experience of working in an SEN environment would be desirable, excellent teaching skills and the right motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are just as important.
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people;
- Work in accordance with professional practice, statutory and legal requirements and the policies of The Meadowcroft School;
- Take on specific tasks related to the day to day administration and organisation of the school and the English department;
- Take responsibility for specific areas of work which will be reviewed annually then negotiated and agreed within the performance management cycle and school improvement process;
- Take on any additional responsibilities, which might from time to time be determined;
- Support all staff in achieving the priorities and targets of the school improvement plan and monitor the progress of those which relate to English;
- Ensure that parent/carers are well informed about the curriculum, targets, children’s progress and attainment in English across the whole school.
- Must be educated to degree level or be of Qualified Teacher Status
- Equivalent to A Level in English
- Must have experience in teaching Key Stage 1 or 2
- Ability to use ICT for teaching
- Understanding of the curriculum in order for successful planning and delivery
- The ability to manage challenging behaviour effectively
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
This position is due to commence as soon as possible (subject to approved reference/DBS checks).
Applications are invited online through the Acorn Education website www.acorncare.co.uk
Acorn Education and Care are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check