The following information includes a summary of national and regional press coverage we have achieved between October to December relating to awards, success, inspirational stories, fantastic reports and much more that has been happening group wide.
Dance team from Hillingdon Manor School are featured on the Chrissy B Show
Anna Kennedy, Autism with Attitude street dance group and dance teacher Jonathan Baron talk about the benefits of dance for children and adults with a diagnosis of autism.
- The Chrissy B Show – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiR3sluQytk&feature=youtu.be
Employee shortlisted for and wins award for exceptional newcomer in Wales Care Awards
Sean Doyle, an employee at Options Kinsale, was shortlisted and won an award in the category ‘Exceptional Newcomer’ at the Wales Care Awards. Organised by Care Forum Wales, the awards recognise exceptional work in the care sector. Overcoming dyslexia and dyspraxia himself and starting work at Options Kinsale 18 months ago, Sean currently supports five young people who have autism, ADHD, learning disabilities and attachment disorders.
- Northern Echo (Web) – http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15682414.Inspirational_Sean_wins_top_award/
- Welsh News Extra (Web) – http://www.welshnewsextra.com/inspirational-sean-wins-gold-award/
- Wirral Globe (Web)- http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/15682414.Inspirational_Sean_wins_top_award
- Wirral Globe (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/inspirational-employee-wins-award-for-exceptional-newcomer-in-wales-care-awards
- Wirral Globe (Facebook and Twitter)
- Wrexham Leader (Print and Web) – http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/15927011.Llanerch_y_Mor__Dedicated_Sean_s_abiltity_to_help_others_puts_him_in_contention_for_award/
- Flintshire Chronicle (Print)
Dance team from Hillingdon Manor School are featured on the BBC for their dancing success
Autism with Attitude dance group from Hillingdon Manor School have been featured on the BBC as they qualified for the United Dance Organisations (UDO) World Street Dance Championships in Glasgow and are now preparing to be the first special needs dance group to participate in the United Dance Organisations European Championships in Germany. The BBC footage featured the dance group practising their routines and training for the competition. The group are proud to be acting as role models, encouraging and inspiring others to follow in their footsteps.
- BBC News (Web) – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-42161690/the-autistic-dance-group-body-popping-in-europe?platform=hootsuite
- BBC Family and Education News (Facebook) – https://www.facebook.com/BBCFamilyNews
Outstanding Rating for Jubilee School
Jubilee School had an Ofsted inspection in September and received an outstanding rating. The school achieved Outstanding in all areas including ‘Overall Effectiveness’, ‘Effectiveness of Leadership and Management’, ‘Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment’, ‘Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare’ and ‘Outcomes for Pupils’.
- The Havant News (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/outstanding-rating-for-hillcrest-jubilee-school-following-ofsted-inspection
- The Portsmouth News (Web) – https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/education/joy-as-specialist-waterlooville-school-earns-top-ofsted-rating-1-8254698
Higford 10th Anniversary Celebrations
On 29th September, Options Higford celebrated their 10th anniversary. Throughout the day there were many exciting activities taking place, such as party games, a tombola and a bouncy castle and a range of refreshments and tasty treats, including Mexican food, an ice cream van and some delicious cakes, the donations from which went to Macmillan’s Coffee morning. An awards presentation took place for student achievement and there was a long-service award for staff who have been at the service for ten years.
- BBC News Shropshire (Web) – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-shropshire-41363724
- Shropshire Live (Web) – https://www.shropshirelive.com/features/2017/09/25/options-higford-prepares-to-celebrate-their-10th-anniversary/
- Brignorth Journal (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/options-higford-celebrates-their-10th-anniversary
Options Applegate CQC Rating
Options Applegate House retains their Outstanding rating from the CQC following an inspection in June 2017.
- Scunthorpe Telegraph (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/options-applegate-house-retains-their-cqc-outstanding-rating
Autism with Attitude make dance history
Autism with Attitude street dance group from Hillingdon Manor School made history when they qualified as the first special needs dance team to qualify for the United Dance Organisations (UDO) World Championships in Glasgow 24-27th August 2017 and the UDO European Championships in Kalkar in Germany in May 2018.
- Essex TV (Web) – https://www.essex-tv.co.uk/autism-attitude-make-dance-history
- Special Needs Jungle (Twitter) – https://twitter.com/SpcialNdsJungle/status/936912946466140161
- Dance.com (Web) – https://www.dance.com/competitions/this-dance-team-with-autism-just-did-something-incredible/
- Education For Everybody (Web) – https://www.educationforeverybody.co.uk/content/autism-attitude-street-dance-group-make-history-first-sen-students-qualify-dance-world
- Autism Gazette (Web) – http://autismgazette.com/asdnews/thisislocallondon-co-uk-hillingdon-autism-with-attitude-street-dance-group-make-history-as-first-sen-students-to-qualify-for/
- London Post (Web) – https://london-post.co.uk/autism-with-attitude-dance-collective-wows-at-regional-competition/
- Special World (Web) – http://www.specialworld.net/2017/08/02/special-needs-street-dance-group-qualifies-for-world-championships/?utm_source=NL-World-News-1-04-08-17&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=World-News&utm_content=Dance&utm_campaign=SW-2017-08-04
- Nasen (Web) – http://www.nasen.org.uk/newsviews/News/News.autism-with-attitude.html
- Dance Magazine (Print) – https://www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/autism-with-attitude-street-dance-group-from-hillingdon-manor-school
‘From Care home to Football Pro’ Dillon’s inspirational story
Hillcrest Steps, the recently reaccredited Ofsted Outstanding rated residential children’s home has been featured in the BBC’s ‘Afternoon Live’ programme due to the amazing outcomes of one of our young people. Dillon was put into care when he was 9 years old. Following a series of foster placements he went to live at Hillcrest Steps, where Registered Manager, Sadie Dangerfield, and the team helped to care for him.
- BBC News Real People – Please click here to view the article.
- BBC (Facebook) – https://www.facebook.com/pg/bbcnews/videos
- BBC News Afternoon Live – News and features in the form of video, audio and digital across the BBC’s television, radio, online and mobile platforms. Please click here to view the article
- Kits on Coaching (Twitter) – https://twitter.com/KitsOnCoaching/status/918589877041745920
- Rachel Lofthouse (Twitter) –https://twitter.com/DrRLofthouse/status/919562398612250626
Simon Cowell of the Autism World says show us your talent
Autism’s Got Talent organised by Anna Kennedy Online Charity and lead by its founder Anna Kennedy OBE, is on the search for talent.
- Charity Today (Web) – https://www.charitytoday.co.uk/simon-cowell-autism-world-says-show-us-talent/
Hillcrest are nominated as finalists for the EducationInvestor Awards 2017 in the category ‘Content and Provision 2017 – Private Schools Group of the Year’
Hillcrest have been nominated for an EducationInvestor Award for their work in partnering with other schools within the group to develop a small mobile catering business. The social enterprise scheme promotes employability, purpose and prepares the students for the world of work by involving the local, wider and global communities.
- Education Investor Awards (Web) – http://educationinvestorawards.com/finalists-2017/
- Teach Secondary (Print)
Looked After Children, poor academic achievement and transition into NEETdom – how can we change this dynamic?
CEO, Graham Baker, talks about the poor academic achievement of looked after children and what we can do to change this dynamic.
- The Educator
Safeguarding vulnerable young people with communication difficulties
Ciaran Walsh, head teacher at Hillingdon Manor School provides guidance on safeguarding for vulnerable young children with communication needs.
- Government & Public Sector Journal (Print and Web) – Page 19 – http://www.gpsj.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/gpsj_autumn_2017_spreads.pdf
Safe hands – Against a backdrop of tightening education spend, James Croft finds safe hands in the children’s care service sector
- Education Investor (Web)
- Education Investor (Print)
The Optimum Place – commissioning placements for Looked After Children feature
As the number of children in care continues to rise, Joe Lepper examines how commissioners are juggling the perennial challenge of placing children according to their needs at reasonable cost – comment from Graham Baker
- Children and Young People Now – Annual Children in Care Supplement (Print)
Honing a joined up approach to SEND
Strong take-up of its services by local authorities in the last 12 months suggests that the Outcomes First Group is living up to exactly what its name purports.
- Primary Teacher Update (Print)
Royal visit marks achievement of students with autism at Baston House School
Thrill and excitement filled the air on 3rd July 2017 when The Countess of Wessex visited students at Baston House School to congratulate them on winning the Alice Street Trophy for the beautiful school garden they created.
- Majesty Magazine (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/royal-visit-marks-achievement-of-students-with-autism-at-baston-house-school
- Education Briefing Newsletter – Forum Education
- News Shopper Bromley (Print and Web) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/royal-visit-marks-achievement-of-students-with-autism-at-baston-house-school
- Orpington-today.co.uk (Web) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/royal-visit-marks-achievement-of-students-with-autism-at-baston-house-school
- Lingfield Today (Web) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/royal-visit-marks-achievement-of-students-with-autism-at-baston-house-school
- Education-forum.co.uk (Web) – http://education-forum.co.uk/countess-of-wessex-congratulates-asc-students-at-baston-house-school/
- The-educator.org (Web) – http://www.the-educator.org/royal-visit-marks-achievement-students-autism-baston-house-school/
- Newsshopper.co.uk (Web) –http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15394759.Pupils_at_Bromley_school_visited_by_royalty_this_week/#comments-anchor
- Thisislocallondon.co.uk (Web) –http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15394759.Pupils_at_Bromley_school_visited_by_royalty_this_week/?ref=rss
- West Wickham News (Print) – www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/royal-visit-marks-achievement-of-students-with-autism-at-baston-house-school
- Royal Life Magazine (Print) – http://royallifemagazine.co.uk/countess-of-wessex-congratulates-alice-street-trophy-winners/
- Royal Central (Web) – http://rcentr.al/2tIk8NB
- Royal Central (Facebook) – https://www.facebook.com/royalcentral/
- Daily Mail (Web) – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4661206/Sophie-Wessex-arrives-Hampton-Court-Flower-Show.html